Keto Your Hands Off My Zucchini Balls!!
Serves 18+ Zucchini Balls
1 Large Zucchini, not peeled, finely diced (about 1 ½ cups raw)
1/4 Medium Onion, diced (about ½ cup raw)
1 Garlic clove, finely minced
3 Large eggs
1 1/4 Cup Ground salt & pepper pork rinds (prefer Southernn Recipe Small Batch)
3/4 to 1 Cup grated cheese, sharp cheddar or parmesan
1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning Pepper to test. Easy on salt since it is in pork rinds.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Cook zucchini, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper, until soft. This mixture will cook down to about 1 cup.
- Place the mixture into a mixing bowl and combine with eggs, cheese, and crushed pork rinds (food processor).
- Add ½ tsp pepper to taste.
- It will form a moist batter that comes easily together. If too moist add more crumbs, 1 tbsp at a time until you can easily shape balls with your hands. Do not use more than 4 extra tbsp crumbs.
- Roll small balls with your hands
- Place each ball onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 15-30 minutes or until the outside is golden and crispy. Balls may flatten out a bit.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Experiment with spices or flavored pork rinds
Make ahead/store/freeze: Can be cooked, frozen and reheated. Heating under the broiler gives the outside a nice crunch.
Recipe by Gretchen K Austin
CONGRATULATIONS to Megan Zweig of DMA Solutions for winning our recipe naming contest!